Thursday, 12 April 2012

Should I Buy a Bicycle This Year?

I've been wondering about this question for quite some time and I still can't decide :/ So, I'm going to present the case for and against getting a bicycle and get your opinions:



For the bicycle:

- Convenience: I can probably ride to the supermarket that's about 20 min away by walking. And to Chofu to buy rice.
- Saves Money: In the long run, if I don't go anywhere other than nearby places, my transportation costs will drop.
- Can practice: I haven't ridden a bike in ages! And since this is a small town, it might be better to practice here than in another university next year.

Against the bicycle:
- High Initial Costs: I heard it can cost about 10 000. But this isn't a really important factor because I do have the money needed.
- Transport: There's actually a direct bus from Chofu to school, so if I buy rice it might be easier to just take the bus back instead of riding back. Plus, the supermarket nearby has sales on Sunday and Tuesday, so I'm already planning to go and buy groceries every Sunday after Church. If I do that, I'll need to go to Chofu less (hence transportation costs go down anyway) and it's a 10 minute walk from Church (so it won't seem that far)
- Paperwork: Apart from having to register my bicycle, when I move next year, I'll either have to sell the bike (and deal with the hassle of transferring the registration) or figure out how to move it with me and my many books.


Miscellaneous thoughts:
- Winter: Will it be easier to ride a bike in winter or just walk to the supermarket?

So, should I buy a bicycle this year or wait till next year?