Saturday, 1 September 2012

Kendo Milestone~

I thought today would be a fairly ordinary day (except for having to stay back and prepare for the Taikai tomorrow), but practice was very different from what I expected!

Hosokawa sensei (the kantoku) was here today, and he announced that the four newbies who have put on the bougu would participate in a practice match today. To be honest, I was very shocked when I heard this, because I have no idea how to fight. I don't know how to points are scored or how to score them. So basically, I was winging it.

Well, I wasn't so much winging it as getting thoroughly defeated. Sensei paired me with another foreign student, who was way stronger than me. So basically, he blocked all the hits I tried to make, and I got hit a lot. Naturally, I lost the match.

After that, we got to train one-on-one with the kantoku. I was actually pushing my limit, but I didn't want to keep having to sit out of practice. Thankfully, it wasn't very long, and the advice Lars-senpai first gave us was true. Somehow, screaming does give you strength. Now, I have to remember to actually scream during the match (and try to hit more).

Tomorrow's the taikai hosted by TUFS! I'm just serving tea and such, but I still have to wear a suit :/ Oh well, I'm sure it'll be interesting. And I'll definitely tell you guys how it went(:

I realised I never did show you guys the wonderful picture my cousin (Elena Yeo) did
for the kendo team. If you love her pictures, you can go to her website here.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I love to hear your opinions and stories! (And if you want to guest post, do let me know too!)

If you have a question about the MEXT scholarship, please check the FAQs and anti-FAQs to see if it's been covered.