Saturday, 15 December 2012

My First Kendo Competition (初めての剣道の試合)

Alright, I'm finally ready to share about my first Kendo competition.

So um, I guess I should start with training:


My biggest change in training (apart from doing the same thing as everyone, as opposed to when I was doing only the easier moves), was this form of circle training. I can't remember the name, but we stand in a circle, and two of us have a match at any given time. The winner (determined by sensei) will be challenged by someone that's forming the circle. I'm quite shy, but I did push myself forward to challenge senpai-tachi. And occasionally, I would actually gain a hit.

And after training (and worrying, because the competition and my exams were around the same time), it was finally the day for the 関東女子学生剣道新人戦 (Girls Amateur Competition). And even though the English translation is "amateur", most of the participants were actually of a high level. As far as I can figure out, it was because this competition is for those who are new to the University, not those new to Kendo.

One the day of the competition, I was actually feeling pretty sick. I basically spent the week before with some sort of stomach bug, so I'd puked every single day before the competition. To put it short, I was not in any condition to fight.

But thank God, I didn't have to. We were a team of four, and our first match was against a team of three. So as the weakest/sickest member, I didn't have to fight. I was really grateful, since I vomited twice during the competition.

Sadly, we lost the match, but looking at my friends, especially Simone fight, I was so amazed at how good they were. I was especially proud of Simone, because we started at the same time, and she was amazing. Like the kantoku said, she used a variety of strokes (men, do, kote), and she was on offensive. It was so amazing, watching her fight.

For me, that was why going to the competition was worth it. Perhaps next time I'm in a competition, I can tell you guys what it was like to actually fight(;

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I love to hear your opinions and stories! (And if you want to guest post, do let me know too!)

If you have a question about the MEXT scholarship, please check the FAQs and anti-FAQs to see if it's been covered.