Friday, 1 March 2013

Bus Trip to Yokohama

This week was really really quiet (I was basically preparing for my presentation), but today was the second official bus trip we had. Well, it was my first, because the first time there was a trip (to Nagano), I was on a plane back to Singapore because I was too ill (yet, I have a perfect attendance record. Go figure).

Tomorrow, we have some kind of farewell/homecoming (for past students) party, so I figured I should do a quick recap today, and another post tomorrow.

Sorry for the lousy picture, I'll post a proper photo post later.

The day started too early (we had to meet at 7.45 am), and I learnt about Martenitsa (link to Wikipedia). It's a cute red and white wristband that celebrates the holiday of Baba Marta. I received two from Mira! (This is what happens when you take one, see another and go "so pretty, can I have that one too?")


The two places that I went to was Sankeien (三渓園) and Chinatown ( 中華街 chukagai). I was supposed to go to the court too, to watch a trial, but I lost track of time at Chinatown (I was at an all-you-can-eat buffet).

So first, Sankeien. This is actually where most of the photos from the next photo posts will be, so um, no photos this time. Sorry guys~ (Unless you have me on Google+, then you've probably seen the instagrams I did).

So, Chinatown. Normally, I take pictures of the food, but not this time. Poukei and I went crazy when we saw the dishes (we assumed the taste was more or less like home), so we were just ordering and eating and ordering and eating, until we ordered too much (too over-excited Chinese girls shouldn't be eating together :p). The taste wasn't exactly like home, but it's very close.

The people there are really nice too. Poukei was 10 yen short, and they told her not to worry. And yes, I did try to pay for her 10 yen, but the lady told me not to worry. I've found that most of the Chinese people in Japan tend to be like that. I suppose the fact that Poukei and I were talking in Chinese to the staff the whole time had something to do with it too(;

Chinatown.

I really wish that I realised how awesome this place was earlier. I might be tempted to make a two-hour plus trip to get stuff - like real soya milk (good enough to move Rena to tears!). Although there are somethings that don't seem very Chinese:

This is cute, but I've never seen this before :O
This was totally worth missing a trial for!

13 comments :

  1. I am also applying as an undergraduate student in MEXT program and I want to know if ever that I pass the interview what will be next processes? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!

      The interview is the last stage, so once you pass it, all you have to do is wait(: (At least, this was my experience)

      ^_^

      Delete
  2. Ah I see Thank you so much. I wish I can pass and select a good university I am aiming for Tokyo University although I am nervous about my Japanese skill cause it is very beginner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... what do you intend to major in?

      ^_^

      Delete
    2. I am planning to major either Japanese language or literature as of now I only know the kana and 1200 kanji

      Delete
    3. Hmm... I hear that Tokyo University is better for Sciences than Humanities, but if you want to go, I think it's possible. It really depends on who has the same major as you.

      ^_^

      Delete
    4. thank you ^_^ I am really hoping I can go, I am already a graduate of Information Technology and I want to expand my knowledge this time within the humanities so I can be a big contribution to the society hehehe. btw what do you mean "same major" as me?

      Delete
    5. Your major would be Japanese Language, so those in the same major would be those also planning to study Japanese Language.

      ^_^

      Delete
    6. I see thank you ^_^ although I can write and read the kana and the basic Kanjis, I have difficulty in constructing complex sentences can I take the interview in english even though I write that my Japanese speaking skill is good?

      Delete
    7. The language of the interview depends on what country you're from (I think). The easiest way to find out is to ask your local Embassy of Japan

      ^_^

      Delete
    8. I see thank you ^_^ I hope I can pass this time ^_^

      Delete
  3. That is exciting to visit Japan. I wish I could. I have a good friend in China who I hope to visit one of these years. I also have good friends from Singapore. I've never been there either but would like to go. One day, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're ever planning a trip to either Japan or Singapore, let me know! I'd love to help (if I could)

      ^_^

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I love to hear your opinions and stories! (And if you want to guest post, do let me know too!)

If you have a question about the MEXT scholarship, please check the FAQs and anti-FAQs to see if it's been covered.