Sunday, 28 July 2013

NaNoWriMo Prep: Live To Write Another Day by Dean Orion (Book Review)

What with NaNoWriMo in less than four months, I've started looking for books on writing to give me more inspiration. And this 'survival guide' is actually really good!

This book is definitely geared towards making a living as a writer (it has chapters on the necessary evils of pitching and stuff), but I think on the whole, it did teach me something that I needed to learn:

And the lesson is - when you finish the book, the 'umbilical cord' is cut and it's time to bring your book into the world. Get criticism and learn from it. And that's something that I haven't done. I finished my NaNo, but I've made absolutely no progress on editing (ok, I did like, two chapters). I think one of my resolutions for this NaNo would be that if I win, I'd ask friends, aspiring writer friends (hinthintfriends!) to read and critique my story.

Now for more about the book: each chapter talks about one aspect of writing, using the author's experience as material. And at the end, there's a cliff notes version and some questions that help you make concrete decisions. The questions actually seem really useful.

Of particular interest was the epilogue, which looked at the future of storytelling. Storytelling isn't limited to books, movies, games, everything can become a story to be told. I still prefer the normal written text, but then again, I really loved the Ace Attorney series (and that's basically a novel told in the form of a game). It's really something to consider.

Disclaimer: I got a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for a free and honest review.