Saturday, 10 August 2013

National Day Celebration 2013

Yesterday was Singapore's 48th birthday! Happy Birthday (again)! So to celebrate, I invited five of my friends over to watch the National Day Parade (I love the National Day Parade. LOVE IT).

And well, I decided to prepare the food. I thought I prepared enough, but now I know, to feed six, I need a lot more than this:

Not shown: Meatballs and noodles.
Also, I tried to get the tarts to say "NDP (:" and " I <3 SG"
The show was actually really fun! We didn't get to see the Red Lions jump (bad weather), but my friends were really impressed with the show in general. Especially the talking Merlion :D (The Merlion is really famous in Japan)

Oh, and I was really touched when two of my friends dressed in Red (top) and White (pants). I did make a general request for everyone to wear red and/or white if possible, but I didn't expect them to look like Singaporeans at NDP!

Singaporean and Singaporeans for a night!

We did get distracted part-way (they were exploring my house and playing the piano), but I was doing the "LOOK NOW" thing, so I guess we caught everything. And after the whole parade we just sat around and talked. And well, commented on the facebook album (everyone used English too, and really, it's all these small gestures that touch me hugely)

You know, I never thought my loft would be so popular. At the end, there were four of us (one friend was staying over and another two were waiting for their parents). So two of them fell asleep in the loft and I was introducing my other friend to the game Where's Swampy. Also in the loft. Which I suppose is good, because all the food migrated to the floor (it was too troublesome to keep going to the table) by the end of the party.

It was actually really different from last year's celebration. But in a way, I'm glad that it turned out like this. I'd like this to become a tradition, if possible.

4 comments :

  1. Well so nice you can have a house for yourself!! And also you get time to play the piano, wow XD
    I see you are living in Fukuoka... I found out Fukuoka is MUCH MORE beautiful then I thought (since it's far away from Tokyo and Osaka I thought it was too mm... "quite" but then I saw some pictures and video and WOOOW *_* weather is nice too, ne ?
    I am leaving for Tokyo, i need a languages school before going to university, because the english program are for private uni T_T Too expensive for me. I can check again, though... btw there's a college language school in fukuoka that after 2 years gives you an Associate Degree and you can choose what to do...so MAYBE after 1 year in tokyo i will move to fukuoka !
    Is it more cheaper than tokyo ?? Foods, most of all..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey (again) Sara,

      Fukuoka really is beautiful! I recently wrote an introduction to Fukuoka for the Singapore Students Association in Japan, you can find it here -> http://www.ssaj.net/perspectives/kyushu/get-over-here-to-fukuoka-now

      I hope it gives you a better idea of life in Fukuoka.

      It's so great that you're moving to Tokyo! I hope you have lots of fun there, and it would be so cool if you can come to Fukuoka! (By the way, Kyushu University does offer some degrees in English). Kyushu is definitely cheaper than Tokyo, in terms of food, rent, etc.

      ^_^

      Delete
  2. Hello! I applied for the MEXT undergraduate students scholarship this year and passed in my country, Sweden, only one person is selected here so I was really lucky! And now I'm waiting for the final results from the selection in Japan. How long did it take before you heard back? (although maybe it differs from country to country?) Anyway, I really enjoy reading your blog and it's very informative too, so thanks! :D Just out of curiosity... Can you show us your appartment? And did you get any help finding it and deal with the contract etc?:)

    Kind regards, Rosaline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosaline,

      Congrats! It took me until, the next Chinese New Year (so the next February) to get the official letter, if I remember correctly.

      About my apartment -> I did everything myself, and I blogged about it here: http://nihonjinjanai.blogspot.sg/2013/03/my-new-home-pictures.html

      ^_^

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I love to hear your opinions and stories! (And if you want to guest post, do let me know too!)

If you have a question about the MEXT scholarship, please check the FAQs and anti-FAQs to see if it's been covered.