Wednesday, 1 January 2014

It's 2014 already? Happy New Year!

明けましておめでとうございます!Happy New Year everyone! Woah, this is the 2nd new year that I've spent in Japan. Last year, I shared this awesome drawing that my cousin did, but sadly, I don't have any cool drawings to share this year. I will, however, share with you how I spent the first day of this year.

Shopping.

I really hope this isn't indicative of how the rest of the year will be. Because really, I can't afford to shop this much.

One thing about the new year in Japan is 福袋 (fukubukuro - lucky bag) and 初売りセール (hatsuuri sale - first sale). Since I live near an outlet mall now, I was really excited to grab a lucky bag.

Sadly, I didn't get the one I want. And to think I arrived within half an hour of the store opening.

But, I did get two other lucky bags (I really wanted a coat ok?)

It was like Christmas! But on New Year!
Here's a math question. If the contents of these two bags are worth 100,000 yen, how much did I pay?

It says made in China, but the price tag.... And to think everything
in that bag was above 10,000yen. 
The answer is 20,000 (excluding sales tax)!

Can my excuse be that sales-staff are really friendly here? And that I really, really like their clothes?

Lucky bags are often placed outside the store, to
attract customers. Well, some anyway. 

Megaphones are involved. Many, many megaphones. 

And banners, don't forget the banners. 

This is a very good lesson for me. I should learn to not spend money in November/December, then buy all my clothes today. The savings today were actually pretty good.

Of course, there is also the temptation to buy things you don't really
need because they come in pretty boxes. Don't worry, I resisted this 5000yen temptation!

And after this, I really don't have an excuse to not buy the sewing machine I want/need to use to make clothes and stuff. It just goes to show that I'm a lot more prudent with money that I don't have in my hand.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for reading and commenting! I love to hear your opinions and stories! (And if you want to guest post, do let me know too!)

If you have a question about the MEXT scholarship, please check the FAQs and anti-FAQs to see if it's been covered.